Dr Gérald SIMON
I was born in Metz, and I studied medicine in Nancy, Angers and Paris.
After having been appointed as a resident, I was a specialist registrar and a senior specialist registrar at the maternity department of the Central University Hospital of Angers (CHU Angers), then at the Hôpital des Diaconesses in Paris. Later, I practised here as a full-time surgeon.
My obstetric training at the maternity unit of CHU Angers (one of the largest ones in France) allowed me to gain a huge experience in monitoring high-risk pregnancies and overseeing birth-giving.
During my surgical training, I had the chance to gain skills in different areas of gynaecological surgery: cystectomy, hysterectomy, myomectomy as well as the treatment of endometriosis and infertility.
After completing my studies at a cancer centre, I could further improve my knowledge in oncological surgery during my daily practice in Paris.
Accordingly, treating breast cancer and pelvic cancers is one of my specialities.
My main area of interest is the treatment of pelvic floor disorders.
After several years of having practised by the side of Professor Villet at the Hôpital des Diaconesses in Paris (centre of excellence for pelvi-perineology), I have acquired the different techniques of treating all of these problems: the prolapse (the descent of an organ), urinary incontinence, and sphincter disorders.
I have sound experience in the placement of a sub-urethral strip (TVT-O surgery) and in administering the treatment of prolapse by vaginal track and by laparoscopy.
‘I created the Institute of Gynaecology and Obstetrics with the objective of putting technical equipment and human competence allowing for providing high-quality, comprehensive care at the disposal of the patients.’
- Non-resident medical student (Externe des Hôpitaux)
- Resident (Interne des Hôpitaux) – General surgery and gynaecology (2002-2007)
- PhD thesis in medicine (2007)
- Diploma of Specialized Studies in gynaecology and obstetrics (2007)
- Specialist registrar and senior specialist registrar (2007-2009)
- Inter-University Diploma of senology (University of Tours)
- Inter-University Diploma of vaginal surgery (University of Lyon)
- University Diploma of coelioscopic surgery (University of Clermont-Ferrand)
- Inter-University Diploma of colposcopy (University of Angers)
- Member of the French Society of Surgical Oncology (SFCO)
- Member of the French Society of Gynaecological Oncology (SFOG)
- Active member of the founding committee of the Luxembourg National Register of Breast Cancer
French : Mother tongue
English : Reading and speaking
German : Reading and speaking (learnt at school)